Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Author Interview Mia Bishop



Today we welcome our own Mia Bishop! She is the author of Little Red Riding Hood. Here's the blurb: Once upon a time there was a girl in a long red cape… That is where one story ends and another adventure begins…


Seraphina is sent into the forest on the eve of her 18th birthday. This traditional rite of passage turns into something much more terrifying and exciting. She is stalked by a beast intent on devouring her and protected by a huntsman who has plans to do the same.


Can she find a way to soothe both the beast and the hunter and still manage to stay alive from another threat lurking in the forest?


1) What got you started on writing?

I’ve told stories for as long as I can remember. When I was little I used to go around to the campgrounds at my grandparents resort and tell all the visitor’s stories off the top of my head. When I got older I started writing in school and drawing instead of doing school work, in my early teens I started playing D&D, eventually becoming the DM for my adventuring group. Then life took over, I gave up, I was told to grow up and stop day dreaming all the time. A little over three years ago I did a simple search on Facebook to see if anyone was using the names of characters I liked from a series I was reading. I typed in: Acheron Parthenopaeus and my screen lit up. I was introduced to the world of Facebook Role Playing which ignited my love of writing all over again. From that experience I was given support and great friends who encouraged me to keep writing.

2) Are you non-writing friends and family supportive? Or do you get the "author/writer...yea... okay..." response?

In a nutshell, no I don’t get much support from my non-writing friends. I’ve mentioned my writing once and received little more than a raised eyebrow and a shrug. My mother doesn’t understand what I mean when I say I want to be a writer or that I am writing. My mother-in-law looks at me with a glazed over look in her eyes like I’ve just twisted my head around backwards, spoke in gibberish and spewed vomit on her silk table runner. My sister-in-laws all look at me with a mix of disgust and curiosity and ask things like “Oh are your trying to write a 50 Shades of Gray book?”

But my kids are uber supportive. They ask me every day, “How many words did you write today mom?” My husband was not supportive at all. For him, if he cannot see, taste, or smell it, and if it requires using your imagination he is not interested. For a few years it has caused some major friction between us, he is just now getting used to the idea and realizing that I’m not going to become famous, run off and marry my computer or something. He tries, now he tries and I give him credit for it but he still doesn’t understand why writing is so important to my mental wellbeing.

3) Why did you choose your particular story for the Fairy Tale Blog?

I love Little Red Riding Hood. The original is so dark and twisted and just flat out messed up that I already had an awesome platform to start from.

4) Why you took it in the direction you did?

Plain and simple. I like writing sex that will excite people. Not “let’s push the envelope and see how many people we can gross out with this sex scene” kind of sex (and trust me I’ve seen some pretty sick stuff done in the role playing forum, my sex scenes aren’t the kind that make you want to puke. At least I hope they are not!) I like to write romance and sex that makes the reader squeeze their thighs together as they are reading it. I hope one of these days I can write well enough to actually meet that goal. Plus who wouldn’t like to have two gorgeous men pining after you? Red is a lucky girl. And honestly it’s not just about the sex; I also love violence and blood. I might need therapy.

5) What elements are you going to keep the same as the classic version and why?

So much of the original version is dark and just down right Rob Zombie worthy and the Grimm Classic version is very watered down compared to that, I’ve decided to take elements from both. Look for some graphic scenes and possibly some cannibalism from the original, and some classic lines from the Grimm story. I will be leaving out the defecation scene as it is not something I am really that keen on writing.

6) Do you prefer to write in silence or with the TV going or with music?

Music or silence. If the TV is on I get too distracted. If a movie is on, forget about it, writing just won’t be happening.

7) What is your dream writing space?

A room with a key pad for password entry.  That is a must! A desk, two monitors, and an all Apple system. An awesome stereo system. The world’s most comfy chair. Chalkboard, dry erase and cork board on the walls. A bay window with cushions and pillows for when I want to sit in the window and write, the view will be cloudy and rainy with some thunderstorms and lightening every day, occasionally a day or two of snow. A coffee maker, snack dispenser, and a thermostat to keep it at my preferred temperature year-around. And a big pile of pillows and blankets in the corner for when I want to snuggle up and read something from one of the many book cases stuffed full of books from my favorite authors that take up an entire wall. Oh and it is self-cleaning, kid proof and sound proof. And has a magical portal that will take me to any destination I so desire in all of time and space.

I’m not asking for too much.

8) What do you do to put yourself in the mood for writing graphic scenes like sex, violence or debauchery?

I don’t need anything to put me in the mood to write violence, blood, torture or anything sad. It comes natural. I used to have no problem writing sex scenes either but over the last year or so it is getting increasingly harder for me so I really do struggle even though I enjoy the content, so usually I try music that reminds me of sex or that has a sexy vibe to it.

9) If your life was a novel, what would the title be and who would write it?

Journey to the Center of the Nerd: A tale of imagination, anime, video games and family by R.A. Salvatore, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Shelly Mazzanoble

10) Who helps you through this crazy journey of writing?

My writer friends. Every single one of them helps me, encourages me and supports me. I’ve learned a lot from each and every one of them. Most of them I’ve met through FB RP, some of them I have met through friends of friends. Some came into my life when I was first starting out, other came into it and changed it during one of the roughest patches life has thrown me. Some left, other came in, and others came back, but everyone I’ve met has helped me in one way, shape or form while I’ve been on this crazy journey. They all mean the world to me and I am very grateful for their support and encouragement and the laughs we share.

Find Mia:

No comments:

Post a Comment