Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The BLOCK

There are writers who claim that there's no such thing as writer's block, but then later will tell you they are in a slump and can't write. Sometimes it is because they write so much in a day/week/year that they get burt out, other times it's caused by nothing that has to do with writing, and other times it's because of doubt. No matter the cause or what you refer to it as, something will block you at some point. I'm in that point right now, I know what's causing it and it's an uncontrollable factor, but I know I can't just sit here and stare at a black page. No. I go through different things that will get the words, no matter how bad, flowing. Since I know I'm not the only person with this problem I decided to tell you how I deal with the block.

1) Take a hot shower. That sounds strange I know, but the heat helps clear my mind from the stressed of the day and allow me to focus on what needs to be done. It helps relax me, if I'm relaxed I can work.

2) Work in my note book instead of on the computer. There's something a little less intimidating about a loved notebook than a glowing computer screen. Be it brain storming, hand writing out a scene, or just brain dumping, it helps.

3) Brain dumping: writing, drawing, anything that represents what is currently occupying my mind. This is something I do when I'm stressed. Worries, fears, stresses, hopes, grocery lists....all kinds of things come out during this time.

4) Set small goals. 500 words. Simple to hit. 500 is better than 0.

5) Sprints. Do nothing but write for a certain amount of time, I normally do this with other writers and we compare word counts after.

6) Music. Enough said.

Remember, getting the words down is the first step, then you can focus on editing and polishing up. So no matter what, get some type of progress done during your dedicated writing time/days. Blocks will happen, but you can move past them.

No comments:

Post a Comment