2013… Oh how you fickle and frustrating you've been. Now that we are facing 2014 I thought I'd do some reflections, because as stressful at 2013 was it was also equally exciting. So let's get down to the milestones of this past year for me:
- The SPE blog has been a success as an outlet for me on my self-publishing journey.
- The Twisted Tales blog turned out better than I had imagined.
- I signed a publishing contract with Ellora's Cave (which was completely unexpected)
- I self-published my first book: Waking Up In Bedlam
- I have managed to keep my author page free of any drama, which keeps my brand professional.
- NaNo wasn't a complete loss. It helped me get a good start on Waking Up In Chains.
- I submitted a short story for an Anthology. The deadline was Dec. 31st, I got it in Dec. 26th. I feel very accomplished to have hit that before the deadline, not much before it, but still… It's progress.
- I have my schedule laid out for the next six months with new releases coming near summer.
What have I learned:
- I have learned that marketing is definitely my weak spot. Which is good to know, it will be an area I really work hard on in this next year.
- Word of mouth can only get you so far, the rest is up to you.
- Haters gonna hate, that doesn't mean you have to let them drag you down to their level.
- Nothing beats the support of friends, family and fans.
- Love what you do and do what you love.
So that is my year in a nut shell. Next year will be happy, exciting, and prosperous. <3