Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: What a Boy Wants


Review: 5 (out of 5) Stars

I have to admit, I was surprised when I picked up this book. Like many people, I enjoy an easy to read young adult novel, but lately they all seem the same. What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn came to my attention from a friend of a friend, perfectly priced for my budget ($0.99) I was quick to pick it up. Two days later I was stunned that this was a self published novel. Yes, I knew this before I started reading, but it read so well and it was so polished I could tell that the author put a lot of work into it.

First thing that drew me into this book was that it’s written from the boy’s point of view. Yep, that’s right, a YA from the male perspective and it’s done well. Sebastian is a very well rounded character, a high school kid who has motives behind what he does and what he believes. It was refreshing to hear from the guys’ side for once in a YA romance and not from a forlorn, helpless, female.  

Nyrae doesn’t fall into the easy trap of making a flat characters. Oh no, far from it. What I loved about the characters were that I could pin point each on as someone I knew in high school.  The reader can still relate to the characters without the tactics of the author using empty and vague characters. Even Sebastian’s mother has a story to tell. These are not your cookie cutter characters and that was a relief to find. 

I don’t want to spoil anything in the story itself, but I will say that this was well worth the dollar that I spent on it, and more. I honestly never expected a self-published book to be so polished and so professional. The story line was interesting, the characters lovable. I growled at the book, I laughed, and I was damn near crying at one scene. This one is a highly recommended book for those who like to read YA romance. 

Support an indie author and check it out!

Check out Nyrae Dawn here.

No comments:

Post a Comment